Monday, October 24, 2011

Am Ințeles

I recently started to understand why a lot of the things my host mother tells me dont make any sense. For instance we might have a converstation such as...

"How was school?" -Her

"Very good." -Me

"How many lessons did you have?" -Her

"6." -Me

"asklekcoie flkjaslkeco alkdjo?"

"What was that?"

As my language skills develop I have gotten better at recalling vocabulary quicker. Usually when we discuss about school it is easy to keep talking about school because my brain is on topic and has all the necessary vocab ready for me to use. However, if the subject suddenly changed to food or family it would take me a while to get into the grove because I have to recall the proper vocab from my vault of Romanian words I have collected. As I have gotten better at the language it has gotten easier to switch from one subject to the next...and thats when I realized that my host mother doesnt play by the rules. She changes subjects after each question. So while I am trying to process how what she said has anything to do with school in reality she is trying to ask me about the price of cars in America...or something along those lines. However, I count my ever growing understanding of her as a success thus far. An example of my success came recently when I was talking to a friend on Skype and my host mother walked in my room and started asking me some questions. Because I was using Skype on my computer my friend could hear the whole conversation and after she left the room he said, "How do you understand her? She talks way too fast." I still have a lot to improve on, but it is good to know that I am improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment