Friday, August 12, 2011

The Beginning of the End...of PST

Today was the last day of practice school which I myself have no words to describe though another volunteer summed it up nicely as feeling that they "had been hazed by the federal government."

The second week of practice school I taught the tenth grade and had a consistent class of five girls. Planning a lesson that includes all of the important aspects that we have been trained to include became a lot more difficult as I had to modify every activity to work for only five people. For instance, pair work or group work was especially tricky.

As for teaching with my partner teacher I was very satisfied. We work very well together and the classes went very well as team taught classes but we still have a lot of work to do. Since my success as a volunteer is mostly based on how well my partners teaching improves this means I will really be able to feel a sense of accomplishment after my two years.

As for today since it was the last day we only spent about ten minutes reviewing the test I gave them yesterday and the rest of the two hours was spent playing games with the other volunteers and students from both the lyceum (high school) and gymnasium (middle school). Although our event was not as well organized as it could have been it went perfectly with three pretty equal groups of students, one playing basketball, one playing American football (although from my perspective the students seemed to be more familiar with rugby based on the way they played) and the last group played musical chairs, freeze dance, Macarena, and the Cha Cha Slide and many other American games… the students were also delighted to teach us the Hora (Moldova's national dance) and a dance similar to a Congo line but way better and I cant wait to do it again this time with video footage. Since my skills do not lean toward dancing or playing sports I spent most of my time as the designated DJ and photographer. Altogether the day was a pretty amazing end to one of the most stressful weeks I have had in my life.

Lastly, I stuffed my face with half a box of Oreo's for lunch, couldn't ask for better.

No comments:

Post a Comment