Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Teaching the English

Being a teacher is pretty hard in and of itself. However, in my particular situation I tend to run into a fair amount more challenges than I feel the average teacher has to come to terms with, such as: teaching a subject that I was not trained to teach (English instead of Social Studies), in a foreign country with an entirely different culture, with students whose native language is different from my own, and with a textbook that leaves a lot to be desired. Now don't get me wrong I have no right to complain seeing as how I signed up for this job in the first place and worked so hard to get here. In fact, in spite of all the challenges I really do like my job. But of all the things that challenge me as a teacher the number one offender is the English textbooks. Consistently they are badly written, badly edited, mostly plagiarized and most of the activities and review material has little to do with the topics that were actually taught. 

I could go into further details as I have a long list of grievances with the textbooks but instead I will treat you to a game that I call, "How many mistakes can you find?" (Compliments of the 8th grade English textbook).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment