Saturday, July 16, 2011

Forest Excursions..and a LAKE

Because of my site visit last weekend I didnt really get a weekend and this week has been even more packed than usual so it has felt like I have been on the go for two full weeks nonstop...but luckily that all changed yesterday when some other volunteers and I went on an expedition. One of the volunteers had been lead by a Moldovan through the woods behind our town to a nearby lake and offered to lead us there. It has been in the 90's all week and yesterday was no exception and when we began the trip it was in the hottest part of the day. Great Idea! In order to get to the lake you have to basically climb up one steep hill and climb down the other side. Altogether the walk took more than an hour but when we got there we were rewarded with a large gathering of Moldovans making a day of it out by the lake. Generally swimwear attire was quite different from what you would see in America but other than that it was a lot like any lake you might find in the Mideast US. The best part of the trip was that I was able to "fac bronza" (make bronze, IE. tan). Seeing as how swimsuits wasnt something we had thought of (all of the males in the group would have stood out in our American swim shorts anyway [and swimming in lakes is something Peace Corps discourages]), so making bronze became the thing to do for the hour or so while we were there.

Alas, again I forgot to bring my camera...but I do have a picture of the lake from a distance.


















Although yesterday should have been a day of rest since I hadnt been able to get any until that point I think our trip was amazing and in some ways was relaxing since we didnt have to think about classes or future projects for a few hours. Although now I am going to really be dead to the world this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment